[Asterisk-Users] Re: unlimited iax termination

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Apr 8 14:08:19 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 20:54 +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
> On 2005-04-08, iaxsales at jsci.net <iaxsales at jsci.net> wrote:
> > Can you tell me, which SIP providers that *work with asterisk* are
> > providing unlimited inbound/outbound calling for $20?  Iconnecthere is 30,
> > broadvoice is 30, etc..., and will allow you to specify your outbound cid?
>
> Actually, I'm hard-pressed to find people for which that is really a
> good deal.  $20/mo would buy you almost 28 hours of talk time from
> LiveVOIP, and I think very few residences with an "unlimited" plan would use
> that much.  I think these plans are seriously overrated and generally a
> rip-off.

There are studies done all the time on phone usage.  A major one I read
for america in 2002 or 2003 stated that the 'average' residential user
used the phone a total of 16 minutes per day and that was broken up
throughout the day.  While that describes my parents and grandparents it
does not describe me.  I have been known to be on the phone for 8 hours
or more per day.

However I am within that study as part of the average.  For ever person
that uses the phone for 8 hours a day someone else uses the phone 1 time
per week for 5 minutes.  Unlimited plan sellers build their plan around
this, so that for just one customer the plan would not work but for
thousands or hundreds of thousands of subscribers they can offer
unlimited rates for less per month since a tiny percentage of each under
user goes to subsidize the costs of a over user.

But read the fine print, several 'unlimited' plans I have read for
various things have limits.  A cellular provider that does unlimited
calling states you cant use it 24/7, AT&Ts voip plan (at least when it
first came out) was 'unlimited' at 5000 minutes.

> I can see some utility for businesses, but then those plans usually
> start around $60...

Read many of the TOS for voip providers.  Broadvoice and Vonage are
almost 100% identical (vonage has a 'bring your own device' provision
broadvoice doesnt other than that they are word for word the same.

You cant use even the business plans 100%..