[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Google Group?

Bruno Hertz brrhtz at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 8 12:02:53 MST 2005

"Damon Estep" <damon at suburbanbroadband.net> writes:

>> > How do you propose getting posts from google to here? Email?
>>
>> Well, the group receives it's content by email. It's nothing else
>> than a subscribed user. As that, it could post (email) to this list
>> as well.
>>
>> Regards, Bruno.
>>
> And that is where the problems starts, if the group posts via email, and
> is subscribed via email, you form a loop
>
> Someone posts to google, google emails the list, the list emails google,
> google emails the list... Am I missing something simple here?

I'd think so, at least from my perspective. I.e. you assume that there's
an independent 'posting to google', in which case of course trouble will
happen, be it only the duplicates.

But as said, as long as the group takes the list as it's *only* feed, and
posting to the group is equivalent to just forwarding email to the list,
where the envelope sender is the user under which the google group is
subscribed and the From is that of the posting user, all should be fine.

I don't know at all how it's currently implemented. All I say is that, from
the technical pov, proxying any list through such a group should be feasible,
without incurring major troubles.

Sidenote: I've been thinking myself these days about how to 'mirror' or 'proxy'
mailing lists via a news server, with posting capability. The setup detailed
above essentially is how I would do it.

Regards, Bruno.