[Asterisk-Users] Reply-To?

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Fri Apr 8 11:29:51 MST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 1:12 pm, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> John Novack <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org> writes:
> > Bruno Hertz wrote:
> >
> >     <>Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver at ykoz.net> writes:
> >     Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> >     Oops, sorry for the list reply :/
> >
> >             <>Actually, why does the Reply-To point to the Asterisk Users
> >             mailing
> >             list? This breaks the reply to sender only / reply to all /
> > list reply
> >             functionality of my mailer. It's really broken :(
> >
> >     Some would say your mail client is broken. What you're complaining
> > about is generally called 'reply-to munging', and there's been a long
> > discussion about this. Google reveals more, like these two oppositional
> > opinions
> >
> >     http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> >     http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml
> >
> >     Regards, Bruno.
> >

> > And there probably will NEVER ba an agreement on this subject.
> > Another list I am on even went so far as to take a poll, and it was split
> > right down the middle, half taking the correct position outlined in the
> > first article, and half  the second, much less flexible,  position..
> >
> > The really curious thing on this list is every so often, if I choose to
> > reply, the poster AND the list appear, but mostly just the list, as if
> > the poster had some control as well.
>
> Well, the reason for the latter apparently is that, in some postings to
> this list, there's actually two entries in the reply-to header, the posters
> mail and the list address, while in others it's only the list. Why this
> happens is above me, though, I thought it should be either/or.

Though it may be 'technically' correct per RFC guidlines, is it really correct
usage-wise? Commen sense tells me that when I click reply, i want to reply to
the message, and i want the message to go back to where it came from, in this
case the mailing list, not the individual. The individual sent it to the
*Mailing List*, not to *Me*. The *Mailing List* then sent it to me, therefore
I am replying to the *Maling List*, not the individual. Does that make sense?
Yes, RFCs may say different, but are they really logical to the common man?
Or even to technical users who dont care about the RFCs and just want to do
their work?

-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan