[Asterisk-Users] Dell suggestions for Quad T1 system

Ben Hencke brainstar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:20:53 MST 2005

Hi everyone,
I am trying to find a reliable & reproducible system to run quad PRI on a
TE405P or TE410P. I currently have 2 TE405P I am testing with.

For reasons out of my control, my company prefers to go with Dell. Currently
I have a few poweredge 750 and several poweredge 400SC to play around with.
These are fine for testing but I would be using something beefier for
production.

After much, much hassle, I was able to get it to work on the PE 400SC. These
systems are really low end, and I would like to ask for some suggestions
before spending $3-5k on a high end system just to find that it won't work.
Also, the PE 400SC seem to be replaced by the 420SC and digium seems to be
having no end of trouble with these and told me to stay away from other SC
prefixed models (including the SC1425?).

So far I have found that I have to:
Disable all extra hardware (USB, serial, parallel, etc) and pray that it
finds its own IRQ (the BIOS does not allow changing IRQs)
Not run X windows
Disable framebuffer
Disable Hyperthreading (This is a real bummber, I could have used the extra
cpu)
Kernel ACPI settings seems to be irrelevant

When I do see problems, It happens near capacity. All of the systems I will
be running will be using all 92 lines when they are being used. Has anyone
tested any of the new Dell systems in a production environment with this
kind of load? Specifically I am looking at the 1850 and 2850.

On a side note, are there any extra IRQ problems introduced by a dual CPU
system?

Thanks in advance,
Ben