[Asterisk-Users] Channel bank replacement

Gavin Hamill gdh at laterooms.com
Fri Apr 8 08:45:06 MST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 16:35, Peter Hoppe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working for a charity in the UK and I am projecting a new phone
> system.
>

> So - would there be any other way to connect 40+ telephones (two wire)
> into an asterisk box? Are there any voip gateways that actually conform
> to SIP standard (unlike what I heard from the Mediatrix voip gateways
> 1124 and 1204 which seem to use non standard SIP and have
> pay-as-you-upgrade)?
>
> Thank you very much for your consideration!

Hi Peter, I'm not sure how you are getting PSTN lines into your * box, but if
it's not ISDN30, you might want to consider some of the cheap IAX phones on
the market now rather than trying to soldier on with old analogue kit?

e.g. http://www.iaxtalk.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=29

Shipping for 30 units and UK power supplies was $340, and with the weak dollar
right now, that works out at just over 40 quid per phone - I'm sure there's
movement on the unit price when buying in bulk...

Now remove the need for an Asterisk Quad-E1 / T1 interface card and you've
dropped the cost by nearly a grand.... food for thought :)

They also sell a single-ethernet-port version of the phone for $10 less if you
have enough ethernet sockets.

Cheers,
Gavin.