[Asterisk-Users] Difference Between NAT=yes and QUALIFY=yes and STUN...

Eric Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Apr 8 08:31:27 MST 2005

Matt wrote:

> I have a STUN server running on my Asterisk box which seems to work
> for most of my SIP clients.. but some of them seem to require NAT=yes
> turned on.   If I go further and turn QUALIFY=yes to on, is there a
> reason I need to keep running a STUN server?  If so, what's the
> difference?

I never understood why Asterisk users seem to have such a fetish for
STUN and SER.  Most people don't need them.  If you have many phones
behind NAT and you want the phones to call each other and you want to
enable reinvites then, yes, you need SER or STUN or something like that.

Asterisk seems to be commonly used in three ways:

1) Home Phone System
2) Business Phone System
3) Internet Telephony Service Provider

Generally none of these types of use has a large percentage of phones
behind NAT and calling each other.

Companies like FWD, etc DO need this since most of their users are
calling each other.

--
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain