[Asterisk-Users] X100P doesn't check for dialtone

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Apr 8 07:48:01 MST 2005

Malcolm Taylor wrote:

> I have connected my home phone line into my asterisk box via an X100P,
> but have noticed that asterisk doesn't check the line for dialtone
> before dialing, barging in on any non-asterisk call which is taking place.
>

> I see from the voip-info.org wishlist that there is an outstanding
> item to 'Listen for dial tone before dialing' and I also see someone
> suggesting a solution for the problem by adding additional hardware
> into the home phone circuit.

What it SHOULD do is, check the DC voltage on the line, and if less than
8-10 volts, consider it BUSY/ unavailable/not connected, THEN check for
dialtone before dialing. Also optionally listen for stutter dialtone
before dialing, making the detection of stutter dialtone available for
some other action.
Certainly these days even simple key/hybrid PBX switches monitor the DC
status before allowing access to a line.

John Novack