[Asterisk-Users] stand alone Voice Mail

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Fri Apr 8 03:35:29 MST 2005

Mike:

  Depending upon your application requirements voicemail is pretty
simple. In sip.conf define a context for the peer from which inbound
sip connections will arrive. Add to the peer whatever config options
seem appropriate (allow=<codec>, context, etc,).

  In extensions.conf define the same context as you defined in the
sip.conf peer configuration. Here you want to define what to do with
inbound calls on an extension by extension basis. If all you want is
voicemail a statement like exten => _XXXXX,1,VoiceMail2(${EXTEN})
is most likely all you need to get call to the voicemail application.
This assumes your callers use 5-digit extension numbers.

 Finally in voicemail.conf define each mailbox by it's number and add
parameters to determine how to handle the message. Such as
delete=yes or attach=no.

 Other than creating the actual mailbox on disk that should do it. Of
course this example is based on the non-realtime model for Asterisk.
The process is the same but the command a little different for
realtime (from what I've read).

-Steve