[Asterisk-Users] Voice controlled calling?

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu Apr 7 15:59:32 MST 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:23:50PM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> On Thursday 07 April 2005 22:17, Alex Vishnev wrote:
> > Magnus,
> > Also, compression gives voice recognition quite a challenge,
> > as the speech samples arriving at the voip voice recognition engine is not
> > the same as it was spoken using regular 64kbits pstn connection (as an
> > example).
> If http://www.shazam.com/ can identify music tracks over a GSM mobile, then it
> must surely be possible for voice with a quiet background to be discerned :)

It is ... however Shazam have a complete archive of virtually every bit
of music produced (and they license it too) and very clever algorithms
that can compare sections of music very quickly. They sort of
signature/MD5 every 10 seconds of music and compare that with the
signature of the bit of music that's being played to them.

But as far as the original question goes for BT (the encumbant) offering
this to compete with VoIP services - I cant imagine why. They may be
doing it to compete with CPS (carrier pre select) and other initiatives
which are driving retail customers away in droves. In the UK there are
probably less than 40,000 VoIP users - of which Wanadoo have the
majority (all the others - excluding Skype - have less than 15,000).

In 2006 BT (if not earlier) BT start migrating their core infrastucture
to what's known as their 21CN (21st Century network). This puts IP in
EVERY exchange in the UK, and ALL voice traffic is carried over IP. This
will extend into the home, so if you have an IP phone it will work with
BT's network, if you have an analogue line as soon as it hits the
exchange it's converted to H.248. If they actually manage to get it
going (which they are very likely to) the PSTN disappears in 2009. At
that point it's likely that every UK telco that isn't BT, goes out of
business too.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd Phone/Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
SMS steve-epage (at) gbnet.net          mob 07775 755503