[Asterisk-Users] Access Voicemail From Outside

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Apr 7 10:11:14 MST 2005

We have two ways of doing it.

One is a special extension from our IVR main menu.  From the menu, users can
dial # followed by their extension number to access voicemail.  This is a
carry-over from how our old system worked.

exten => _#XXX,1,MailboxExists(${EXTEN:1})
exten => _#XXX,2,SayDigits(${EXTEN:1})
exten => _#XXX,3,Playback(T-is-not-available)
exten => _#XXX,4,Goto(main-menu,s,1)
exten => _#XXX,102,Voicemailmain(${EXTEN:1})
exten => _#XXX,103,Hangup()

However, during the day the receptionist answers, instead of the IVR.  To
allow people to still directly check their mail, we set up a POTS line as a
"back door number" into the system.  The line is shared with an
outgoing-only computer fax modem, so the net cost of adding this was very
low.