[Asterisk-Users] AES vs AEC

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Thu Apr 7 10:00:01 MST 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, 1 2 wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know the difference between echo
> cancellation vs echo suppression - particulary in
> relation to polycom settings - the sites I have come
> across seem to use the terms interchangeably.

Echo Supresser == mute (or replace with comfort noise) the non-speaking
                  party

Echo Canceller == subtract the expected echo from the received signal,
                  leaving only the non-echo audio.

In reallity you usually use both, the canceller is active during
double-speak and the supressor when only one party is speaking.

Peter