[Asterisk-Users] MWI for SER and Asterisk - ast_data vs "realtime"

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Thu Apr 7 07:30:45 MST 2005

Matteo Brancaleoni wrote:

> ARA is something different from ast_data:
> * ast_data is real realtime: for example extensions.conf
>   is looked up from DB in realtime without reload.

    Hmm. RealTime extensions are exactly like this. I've never done a single
extensions reload using RealTime.

>   With ARA you can only:
> * load the whole dialplan from DB (ARA static), (not realtime)
>   an apply mods with reload

    *buzzer* (read above)

> * make it dynamic with switch statements.
>   ast_data is like having the whole dialplan in DYNAMIC mode.
>   This can be desiderable in certain situations (ie quickly
>   changing dialplan)

    Again, this sounds exactly like RealTime behavior.

> * ast_data iaxfriends & sipfriends is like ARA dynamic
>   sip&iax friends, but with a lot of params in addition for
>   the peer. just look the patches.

    What parameters are not supported by ARA? I believe all parameters that
are supported in sip.conf are also supported by ARA since its basically the
same code that parses the options.

    BTW, this is not a ARA vs. ast_data debate. Use whatever works for you.
My point here is that there is alot of misinformation about ARA (as shown
above) and I'm just trying to get it all straightened out.

-Matthew