[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 44

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Tue Apr 5 19:25:38 MST 2005

 >> Just pulled out our brand new $1,500 TE405P and put it into a Dell
 >> Poweredge 6450. Nothing. Card not recognized nor listed under
 >> "lspci".

 >> I've been on hold at digium for a while now and I get the feeling
 >> that Digium is gonna say "too bad sucka..the card works..*click*" but
 >> if enough people have a problem with this card in Dell Poweredges,
 >> then perhaps they will take a closer look and figure out the problem.

 > we had problems with a TE410 i think, with a dell poweredge server.
 > the single span cards worked, but when we put in an e1/t1 card, 1 or 4
 > span, they failed to work.

 > spent over a month with digium, mostly waiting for them to respond,
 > and they said there is an incompatability with dell poweredge series.
 > mostly due to the fact that most dell stuff uses cheap gear (chipset
 > was the problem they said) so now we use 4 single span cards rather
 > than the 4 span, since they dont make t1 only 4 span cards anymore.

I use a TE410P in a Dell PE 1600SC and it works pretty well.  It's a
ServerWorks chipset, but I don't remember the model number offhand.  I
did make sure to call Dell first and verify that there were 3.3V PCI slots.

Of course, it probably won't handle 92 simultaneous PRI->g729 channels,
but judging by the CPU loads I've seen, it will do at least 50 PRI->ulaw
channels (not that I have that many channels).  I only have one 2.8 Ghz
processor in it, too.  It has room for another.

I think I've read about people using the TE4XXP series in Dell PE
2650's.  One of the newer 2650's might be able to muster enough
horsepower to handle 92 g729 channels.