[Asterisk-Users] fault tolerant asterisk system

Andres Tello Abrego criptos at aullox.com
Tue Apr 5 05:00:27 MST 2005

But those configuration doesn´t mean fault tolerancy.

When implementing a load balancing cluster, failovering is only achieved
using information replication on line...

If you don´t make some how the information persistant, then you will no
be to take over the failed server. You will only be providing a High
Availability solution, instead a failovering.

For example, lvs used to load balance http/https connection in a php or
java environment. The session information, used to authenticate or
mantain persistance between transactions is replicated from one cluster
node to the other, this give a HUGE overhead between the intra-cluster
communication link (maybe a separated network), with this session data
replication, when a server fails, and is take over another server, all
the information about what was doing the user, is also available at
replacement server, so, the comunication continues, integrity is
mantained, etc... Lvs also have a persistent mode, which make, all
communications coming from the same IP, are redirected to the "last"
server, for a configurable amount of time.

Lvs can be used to load balance sip/iax connections, but failovering,
with the HA proyect, means that is a server goes down, that means that
the ALL comunications will fail, pots fxo lines will obviously hangup
and all IP communitacion will fail also, becose the asterisk taking over
does not have the register info or the state of the comunication
channel, channels will need to re-register, etc...

You can have some registration info at a mysql server, but then, now you
have anoter point of failure and then you will need make a cluster and
failover strategy for the mysql (1 master to 1 slave replication can do
the trick)... but then again, to have full failover, we need to share
the state of, at least, the IP channels...

Full failover at least for IP communications, is a tricky issue.

Having High Availability, LVS + HA, and the trick is done. Also a
duplicated amount of telephony hardware, that Digium will thanks :)