[Asterisk-Users] Channel bank question

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno-co.org
Tue Apr 5 09:46:42 MST 2005

Damon Estep wrote:

> [...]
Correct.

>You want to call your telco and see what the cost of a PRI (T1) is to
>replace those 10 lines. You have 10 analog lines should be at the point
>where it is about a break even, if not call a competitive carrier.

Not in my area.  I have one provider who is brave enough to ATM a t1 out
to my location.  Everybody else won't touch us.  Currently, we have what
our vendor is calling a burstable t1.  I don't know if this is a common
term or not, but bassically it means voice and data share the t1, voice
eating into the bandwidth as needed.  The t1 is actually terminated into
an Adtran 616 which I am currently researching to see if it can feed out
a t1 feed instead of the 10 copper lines.  But I digress.

>You do not want to use a channel bank to convert analog to digitial,
>even if it could be done you are putting bandaids on a huge wound.

Agreed.  However, given my options....

>You will get a lot of features with the PRI you can not get on analog,
>not to mention it will work, what you are talking about doing makes no
>sense from a practical standpoint.

Well, except it's probably the best solution when you consider
cost/complexity.

>Do it right, get a PRI and a single PRI digium card (or another PRI
>terminating device like a T1 chabbel bank)/

Normally, I'd agree with you.  However, this situation is different
given the line costs.

Sean