[Asterisk-Users] OT: CRTC mandates 911/E911 for VoIP in Canada

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Tue Apr 5 07:42:23 MST 2005

________________________________

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of William M.
Sandiford
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 7:53 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] OT: CRTC mandates 911/E911 for VoIP in Canada

For those of you out there that are Canadian or otherwise interested.
The CRTC (Canadian equivalent of FCC) has released its ruling on
911/E911 for VoIP providers.  In a nutshell it requires all service
providers that offer a fixed native exchange service to provide E911
within 90 days and all service providers offering either fixed foreign
exchange or nomadic service to offer Basic 911 within 90 days.

Here are the links:

CRTC Decision on 9-1-1 Emergency Services for Canada
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2005/r050404.htm
<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2005/r050404.htm>

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/dt2005-21.htm
<http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/dt2005-21.htm>

Anyone does not think the US FCC will not rule the same way in a matter
of time is hiding from the truth, and anyone deploying * in an ITSP
manner without budgeting and planning for 911 services is in for a big
financial surprise.

As of now (that I am aware of) * has not method of querying a selective
router for the 10 digit number of the local PSAP. Our solution at this
time is;

Establish a relationship with the local ANI/ALI database maintainer that
allows you to update location records for TNs that have been assigned or
delegated to you, even if the numbers have been delegated by an upstream
LEC or CLEC. There is a fee for this service.

Route all 911 calls via PRI TDM circuits to a LECs or CLECs switch that
already has the ability to query the selective router and route the call
to the correct 10 digit PSAP number. A fee applies here too.

At some point it will be necessary to build code into * that allows it
to query the ALI databases directly over IP or TDM, IP will likely be
the solution. When that times comes we will be happy to join in on the
developers bounty as we can afford to contribute, but do not have the
skills to write the code ourselves.

Intrado has already built an interface that allows these queries to take
place over IP, so it would just be a matter of getting an NDA executed
with them, obtaining a copy of the specification, and writing the app
that queries the selective router for the correct 10 digit TN when 911
is dialed. See www.intrado.com <http://www.intrado.com/>  (no
affiliation)