[Asterisk-Users] fault tolerant asterisk system

Infocus infocus at todave.com
Tue Apr 5 04:53:52 MST 2005

I am looking to create an asterisk system with failover in case one asterisk
box fails.

Current hardware:

2 asterisk boxes (P3 950mhz gateway server and an older dell) w/128MB RAM
each, latest release of asterisk/centos.

1 RAID5 server with 2 SATA HD's

Goals:

I want Asterisk to take over active calls when one server fails.  I may want
to store data (config files, voice mail, etc.) on the RAID server.

What do you all think about this arrangement. my only concern is if my RAID
server goes down, both asterisk clones become unusable. Would I be better
off storing files on one asterisk box and then rsync with a cron job every 1
minute?  Would it be better to have both servers running at the same time
and processing calls, with the data stored on the server?

A side question would be: if one asterisk box got overloaded with calls,
could it roll over to the second box?

Thanks for the advice/opinions, in advance!