[Asterisk-Users] Outgoing faxes with chan_capi?

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 22:46:34 MST 2005

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to send faxes over CAPI?

I'm using asterisk on Debian sarge on 2.4.27, with 2 Fritz! PCI cards
and the appCapiFax patch. Incoming faxes work perfectly with
capiAnswerFax (I have dedicated numbers so I don't have to detect fax
calls). But I can't find any method of _sending_ with CAPI, other than
this comment on the list a few weeks back:

[snip]
In this little corner of the world [Australia] we pay $400 for a
single port Fritz! card
that costs $30 anywhere else and have to use chan_capi.  Chan_capi is ok for
basic service but is not supported by spandsp or AMP, and only partially
supported by FOP.
[/snip]

And since most fax systems use spandsp (including app_txfax, which
would be my first choice) it doesn't seem to leave many options.

The wiki comments mention CapiSuite, but that appears to be a
completely separate package to Asterisk, so I'd (I think) need to
fully shut down Asterisk, send the fax, then start it up again? Not
really acceptable, even for a lightly-loaded system like ours
(incoming calls wait for no man).

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.