[Asterisk-Users] SIP phones to Asterisk using MAC addressinsteadofIP address

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Mon Apr 4 10:23:29 MST 2005

There is some misconception about the usage of host=dynamic and
defaultip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
And using more phones than Ips. You can use Dynamic and IP together
without any issue.

The following entries in sip.conf work fine.  But the IP address has to
be on only one phone per IP. You cannot have more than one phone
configured for the same IP as the registration is lost to the other
device, once the second device registers with the same IP

Seshu

;IareaNet BK Office Extensions
[1603]
type=friend     ; Friends place calls and receive calls
context=dialout ; Context allows the user to call outside
username=1234   ; Username for authentication
secret=4321     ; secret or password for above user
host=dynamic
defaultip=10.12.14.46 ; default IP for this Extensioin
dtmfmode=rfc2833        ; Choices are inband, rfc2833, or info
disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=g723.1
allow=ulaw      ; dtmfmode=inband only works with ulaw or alaw!
allow=alaw      ; dtmfmode=inband only works with ulaw or alaw!
allow=gsm
progressinband=no       ; Polycom phones don't work properly with
"never"

[1604]
type=friend     ; Friends place calls and receive calls
context=dialout ; Context allows the user to call outside
username=1235   ; Username for authentication
secret=4325     ; secret or password for above user