[Asterisk-Users] SIP phones to Asterisk using MAC address insteadof IP address

Giles Coochey giles.coochey at mirada-solutions.com
Mon Apr 4 07:33:14 MST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I know this can be done but I guess I am not understanding
> the few notes
> I have seen on this - can SIP phones be tied to Asterisk
> using a PC mac
> address instead of their IP address (obviously I am using DHCP). If
> someone could please point to the right Wiki or How to I
> would greatly
> appreciate it.

I would do this by using IP reservations on the DHCP server. Most DHCP
servers will allow you to set a reservation of a paricular IP address to
a particular MAC address.

You may not be able to use this if you have more phones than available
IP addresses of course.

I couldn't see anything in
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+sip.conf that would help
your cause directly.