[Asterisk-Users] Router with QoS recommendations

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Mon Apr 4 02:32:50 MST 2005

On 4 Apr 2005, at 09:25, Shaoul Jacobson - TELLINK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> QoS is nice (and important) but only works within a FULLY controlled
> end to
> end link.
> Inside a BIG enterprise LAN, on leased lines its OK.
> Using end to end MPLS should also be ok
> Mind that some provider sell MPLS but it is not their own MPLS end to
> end.
> Going from one provider on MPLS to another on MPLS, you lose all the
> benefits. No control.
> Using the World Wide Wait (Internet) it will not help.
>
> A waste of money.
> My 2 cents.

I'm not sure I totally agree. It is also useful if you control the
narrowest pipe.
Take the example of several sub-offices joined to a head office PBX over
'public' ADSL lines. Let's say the company buys all the ADSL lines from
the
same provider.
In such a set-up, the uplink side of the sub-office ADSL links are
likely to be the main bandwidth limit.
A well configured router there will slow outgoing email etc to preserve
the quality of current VOIP sessions.

Sure, the provider may have internal bandwidth constrictions, but
they are unlikely to kick in before the 256k up channel of
a typical ADSL.

Oh, and, the web and the internet are not the same thing.
Think like that and you'll forget mail. Which is a huge bandwidth
consumer, and can stand being delayed by a second or
two.

Tim.

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/