[Asterisk-Users] xlite regestration fails but calls to thru

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Apr 3 06:21:38 MST 2005

> While on my network I can register ok with xlite but outside my firewall my Xlite says that
regestraion has failed but I am still able to make calls
> through it. I have opened ports: 5060 udp/tcp and 10000-20000 udp/tcp  is there another port
Xlite needs for proper regestration? Is is this a
> network configuation error on Astrisks part? My Asterisk server is running a IP of 10.0.1.x
and my Cisco firewall is passing the public IP
> address to it from the outside.

Registration should occur across udp 5060 only.

I don't use a cisco pix, but I believe their is a config command like
"sip fixup" (or something like that). Supposedly, the pix will look
inside the sip packets and watch for the rtp port negotiation, and then
open those udp ports as appropriate.

You might check the pix documentation to see exactly how the sip fixup
is to be used/defined.

In asterisk, you might need "nat=yes" for the external use of xlite.

To get more detail as to why the registration is happening correctly,
you might want to try "sip debug" and pay attention to IP addresses,
error messages, etc.