[Asterisk-Users] How does asterisk know the did called on?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Apr 3 06:08:13 MST 2005

> If I were to buy 20 did's how do I know within asterisk which number was
> dialed? (like say I want a few of the did's to ring specific extensions
> if they are dialed and others to go through the menu)
>
> Is there any ${var} that has the number dialed in on? (that would be
> optimum).

It varies as to how each provider handles this, but the majority of those
I've tested with send the DID number as the extension dialed.

As an example, when livevoip sends an incoming 800 call (did is the same)
to my * box, they send the call to extn 8001234567 and I handle it in the
extensions.conf like this:
 [livevoip800]
 exten=>8001234567,1,Dial(SIP/3000,10)

A customer uses a PRI with about 30 did's. Each incoming DID call includes
the dialed number, and the above approach is used to map those incoming
calls to specific extensions.

A variation of the above is to use a GoTo statement (instead of the Dial
statement) to send the call to an existing context/registration.