[Asterisk-Users] Packetization

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Apr 2 22:55:23 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 21:16 -0500, Matt wrote:
> I'm aware that asterisk only supports 20ms packetization rates.  Due
> to the fact that I will be using some voip devices on a wireless
> network which is highly sensative to framerate.. is there any way I
> can hard code the packetization rate at say 30 or 40ms and then
> compile astrisk?  If so, can anyone in the know tell me what variables
> I need to look at to change?

Are you sure your other devices support different packet sizes? Are you
sure the added delay in audio delivery can be handled decently and not
cause added echo?

Have you considered what IAX trunking can do for you? It will reduce
frame rate as you add channels since each packet will then hold the
frames for each of the consecutive calls.