[Asterisk-Users] Integrating door intercom?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 22:16:41 MST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 2:57 PM, Jeff Noxon <jeff-asterisk at planetfall.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:07:30PM -0500, C F wrote:
> > Well, depends how you set it up. If you leave it as is, it will only
> > ring 3 times. You can't just call up the box (without the chip), b/c
> > it will just throw you to the other end of the doorbell fon (the co
> > port). So no this is one of the more cheaper one and I wouldn't
> > recommend it with Asterisk, try Vikingelectronics instead (the c2000
> > from them even support callerid). Or you can try Valcom.
>
> In my configuration, the Doorbell Fon has a dedicated FXO port.  I would
> not recommend using it any other way.  Asterisk answers immediately
> when the user hits the button on the intercom and indicates ringing to
> the intercom.  Asterisk sets the Caller ID, and rings my house phones
> (and cell phone) with distinctive ring.
>
> Personally I have no need or desire to make calls to the intercom box.
> Unless someone pushed the button, I'd be unaware anyone was there in
> the first place.

Well, in most intercoms it's an option, to answer the intercom even
when nobody called it because you want to listen whats going on in
that room/door.

> > The distinctive ring doesn't really work with asterisk, since it is
> > never (well, almost never 1 out of 5 might repeat, but then again it
> > might switch the pattaren with the other box) exactly the same
> > pattaren. Caller ID just simply doesn't work with this box, it does'nt
> > send callerid, the only thing you acomplish by turning it off, is to
> > ring the phones imediatly.
>
> There's no need for the distinctive ring to work with Asterisk unless you
> are trying to get by with one FXO port for both the doorbell and a POTS

Why not? it can support 2 doors, so you want to know which door is ringing.

> line.  I have not tested that configuration and would not recommend it.
> With a dedicated FXO interface for the doorbell, those issues go away.

They do not go away, look above, since it supports 2 doors you want to
be able to know which door rang.

C F