[Asterisk-Users] Re: Buying some Polycom IP300s

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Sat Apr 2 19:31:52 MST 2005

> The page in the wiki used to say that the person would not recomed
> Polycom phones to anyone.

I missed that part of the WIKI!  Maybe it's more recent.  I don't want
to invalidate anybody's experience, but in the process of picking
phones for my company, I evaluated a huge number of IP phones (and
bought a lot of them).  The only ones I would consider for us to use in
real production are the phones from Polycom, Cisco, Zultys, Snom,
Avaya, and Pingtel.  Of those, the Polycom and Cisco units seemed to be
the highest quality with the best feature set (I was looking for high
quality speakerphone, multiple line appearances, centralized
administration, intercom, lots of hard keys, and something that looked
both sturdy and flashy).  I went with Polycom in the end because they
are cheaper (actually, the cheapest in my list above).  They are NOT
the easiest to configure, and they are NOT well supported, but they
have certainly met my requirements and expectations., and once you have
an FTP server set up with a good config, it is very fast and easy to
set up new phones.

> Also, is the IP500 worth the extra money?  What can it do that
> the IP300 can't.

- Full duplex speakerphone (IP300 is listen only)
- Real graphical display (IP300 is more like an old-style calculator
display)
- 3 line appearances (IP300 has 2)

 From a qualitative perspective, the IP500's just look more
professional.  The plastic stand is more solid and durable on the IP500
than on the IP300.  The display is much more readable on the IP500.
All our employees use IP500's or IP600's.  We only use the IP300's for
lobby phones and in back rooms.  Depending on the supplier, you can get
the IP500's for not much more than than the IP300's.  I would highly
recommend the IP500's over the IP300.