[Asterisk-Users] Buying some Polycom IP300s

Chris Scott chris-lists at adaptivehostingsolutions.com
Sat Apr 2 18:10:57 MST 2005

Dan Morin wrote:
> Sorry for the double post, I tried to paste and accidently sent the
> email
>
> I've been playing with Asterisk for a few weeks now, and I've gotten
> everything to work well with softphones, so I'm ready to move on to
> normal VoIP phones.  I've been looking around and reading comments that
> people have had, and I was convinced that the Polycom IP300 was a great
> phone for a good price.  But, then I ran into this page, which has been
> update in the last few days:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Polycom+SoundPoint+IP+500
>
> The page in the wiki used to say that the person would not recomed
> Polycom phones to anyone.  So anyway, I just want to make sure that the
> IP300 is a good choice.  I don't want to get cheap phones that aren't
> business quality, since I do play on using them for my business after
> testing.  Also, is the IP500 worth the extra money?  What can it do that
> the IP300 can't.  And finally, will the IP300 do ulaw encoding?

I saw that page after I got a IP 300 for testing last week.  So far, so
good.  IIRC, it does ulaw and alaw--and others.  The sound quality is
good, the display is good, and the volume gets plenty loud for me.  The
only thing I don't like about it is the headset port is made for a
"real" phone headset (RJ11 jack), not the kind you plug into a
cell/cordless phone (2.5mm jack).

The only problem I had configuring it was MWI and the wiki page on MWI
and Polycom helped but I didn't have the context set correctly in my
sip.conf (I edited the wiki page to clarify what it needs to be).

To save you some time, I wouldn't suggest doing any config through the
web interface.  Just set up the config files and make them avail. on FTP
and then config. the phone to use them.  In the long run, you'll want to
do this for multiple phones anyway and it gives you more control anyway.

--
Chris Scott
Adaptive Hosting Solutions, Inc.