[Asterisk-Users] Re: What's the use of a multi line phone?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri Apr 1 15:03:44 MST 2005

> Sorry for this n00b type question but what is the use of a multi line
> phone?
>
> Occasionally I see discussions going on about this subject but with a
> single phone you can only answer one call at a time (at least I can
> with
> only one phone).
>
> What would you need the extra lines for?

Usually for a business.  Our business policy is for a person to answer
every incoming call immediately (and then put them on hold as
necessary).  Sometimes our receptionists will have to field four or
five calls before they can begin to properly route calls to their
intended destinations.

Also, most of our staff (the non-receptionists) like to be able to do
the call waiting thing and answer new calls as they come in, even if
they need to continue with their current call.  True, this could be
done with call waiting, but most users find it easier to just push a
line button, and the multiple line appearances on our phones allow
things like the ability to see caller ID of new incoming calls when
they are still in a call, and then the ability to conference calls
together.  Most of this can be done with callerID, Meetme, or other
features, but it is just easier on a multiple line phone.

Another use:  Some multiple line phones (like the Snom phones) can do
shared call appearances like an old key phone system.  This would mean
that, for example, Judy is always "Line 5" on everybody's phone.  Press
line 5 and get Judy - if line 5 is lit up, it means Judy is on a call.