[Asterisk-Users] Integrating door intercom?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:07:30 MST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 11:50 AM, Jeff Noxon <jeff-asterisk at planetfall.com> wrote:
> I have a Doorbell Fon.  It works great.  Turn off caller ID and
> distinctive ring on the Doorbell Fon FXO port to make Asterisk more
> responsive to it.  You don't need the special chip they sell for
> PBX users.

Well, depends how you set it up. If you leave it as is, it will only
ring 3 times. You can't just call up the box (without the chip), b/c
it will just throw you to the other end of the doorbell fon (the co
port). So no this is one of the more cheaper one and I wouldn't
recommend it with Asterisk, try Vikingelectronics instead (the c2000
from them even support callerid). Or you can try Valcom.

The distinctive ring doesn't really work with asterisk, since it is
never (well, almost never 1 out of 5 might repeat, but then again it
might switch the pattaren with the other box) exactly the same
pattaren. Caller ID just simply doesn't work with this box, it does'nt
send callerid, the only thing you acomplish by turning it off, is to
ring the phones imediatly.

> The build quality of the brass model is extremely good.  I mounted it
> in an outdoor junction box at my front gate and it's held up very well.
> A year later it still looks new, and it's sitting out in the sun and rain.
> The switch on that model is piezoelectric, and the whole thing is very
> well sealed from the elements.  I've never seen the plastic model but
> from the pictures it doesn't look nearly as nice.

The plastic one is not so bad, looks just like any other plastic one.
But the brass one is really nice, and worth it.

It's actualy on the wiki http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+door