[Asterisk-Users] Re: Are there online forums instead of this

Tim Bass bass at silkroad.com
Fri Apr 1 00:17:52 MST 2005

I'm saying that as a long as long as Digium supports this "dinosaur
technology in support of their community"  "that" is exactly what the
community will have, and nothing better, because "this" is the Digium
supported community.    It is really obvious to an unemotional objective
user who has reviewed the archives, the search function, and has observed
the "disorganized, helter-skelter, all over the map" discussions (ok, I
guess,  if you have lots of free time on your hands), poor text formatting
messages (i.e. no way to indent code, code fragments, highlight, etc.) -
this "helter-skelter community" has a solid a one-hour "post-to-message" lag
time for recent subscribers and traffic-volume that is not possible to
moderate to enforce simple social rules and professional conduct.

For example, vBulletin's (www.vbulletin.com/forum) entire business ecosystem
is supported by very a very large community of very talented users and
developers.   Some of the top developers also support parallel ecosystems
such as www.vbulletin.org/forum where customization is distinct from core
services and basic user support.

These people are very top technical people (not some lamers who can't use
email as some recent foolish posters have demanded) and they certainly could
not support such a complex and sophisticated user community if they used an
antique email list server with a one hour post-to-message lag time.

For fun, you might register with www.vbulletin.com/forum and suggest they
convert their entire community to an SMTP email list server  and see how
many people agree with you (generic "you", not personal "you").   Please
post the URL of the discussion where all the developers agree with "you"
have much better vBulletin would be if they stopped building on-line
communities and became a helter-skelter email-based ...... Mess!

The productivity of www.vbulletin.com and www.vbulletin.org surpasses the
productivity and efficiency of this list  by orders of magnitude (hands
down).   Just look at their archives, their posts, their announces, bug
tracks, security releases, commercial support, etc. an infinitum.

Open your eyes (them from the excellent movie Vanilla Sky).......