[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID Info from Cisco router to Asterisk

Tony Kava asterisk at pottcounty.com
Thu Sep 30 18:28:48 MST 2004

> Can I ask, why do you want to use a Cisco router for only 1
> PRI, which Asterisk can easily handle with a Digium card?
> The Ciscos (at least the AS5300s) are much more expensive
> than a ~$500 card.  If you start having DS3s of data, I
> could start to see a Cisco argument :-)...

You most certainly can ask that (you just did!).  I realize a Digium card
can do the job, and I do have Digium cards right now.  However, we want to
separate our PSTN connection from the Asterisk server.  One of the goals of
our environment is that our servers have no specialized hardware installed
so that any one server can do all the same jobs as another.  Therefore we
would want to use an external device for the actual connection to the PSTN.

Additionally, we do plan for future expansion that will make more efficient
use of a Cisco router.

Thanks.

--
Tony Kava