[Asterisk-Users] What's the difference?

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Thu Sep 30 18:11:23 MST 2004

The orginal use for these was to extend dialtone over a channalized T1
between towns.  In the old days, businesses would buy phone numbers in a
different town/phone exchange and port it to their offices.  This was way
before call forwarding was popular or practical dues to long distance rates
at the time.

At the orginating end, we would put in a Foreign eXchange Office channel
unit and wire it to the local dial tone port on the telco switch.  At the
other end, we would put in a Foreign eXchange Subscriber channel unit and
wire it to a cable pair that went to the business that purchased that out of
town(or Foreign eXchange) dial tone.

An FXO gets dial tone from somewhere and the FXS faces the subscriber
equipment/phones/stations.

Lyle