[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Linux 2.6 Kernel

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Thu Sep 30 17:00:19 MST 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 09:15 am, Tony Nichols wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 15:43, steve szmidt wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 September 2004 10:28 pm, C Wegrzyn wrote:
> > > I ran the LiveCD version of Asterisk on my hardware and it worked. I am
> > > trying to run it natively on a 2.6 kernel (Gentoo distro),  but it
> > > keeps getting a seg fault using the sample configuration files. Does
> > > Asterisk not work with the 2.6.8 kernel?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Chuck Wegrzyn
> >
> > I've been running 2.6 for months using MDK 10.0, on two machines.
>
> Hey Steve,
> What are the details to make it work on MDK 10?
> I've been using SUSE 9.1 with no issues but would like to try out mdk
> 10.

Well, lets see. I had to include the source code as it does not have the
Makefile's under /lib/modules. Then you add a link from the source
dir /usr/src/linux2.6.8-xxx.mdk whatever, to /usr/src/linux-2.6.

I think I had to get the mpg program that works with * from elsewhere.

Mostly I use a script szmidt.org/asterisk/asterisk-update.sh (also on wiki) to
download compile etc. It creates the symlink, does backup and so on for you.

It was very straight forward otherwise. I used the custom option and verified
all pgms were included.

The reason I chose it was because of it's very simple and does an excellent
job locking down the box. I have it face the Internet on one side and then
another NIC for phones on the internal side.

It's been running just fine since 10.0 came out.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin