[Asterisk-Users] OT (maybe?) : TI - PRI Question

Steve Maroney steve at stevenet.net
Thu Sep 30 15:49:56 MST 2004

Hey guys,

Im new to the telecom industry and I am having a hard time understanding
the differences between a voice T1 and a PRI line ? I was taught by a
friend that I met on this list that a voice T1 provides all 24
channels for voice and/or data and uses inband signalling. PRI uses 1 channel for
signalling and leaves the other 23 channels for either voice or data.

This makes sense but how else does T1 compare/contrast to a PRI ?

Doesn't a T1 carry the PRI signal(such as UDP over IP) ?
Does the T1 cards from digium support both voice T1's and PRI lines ?
What benefits and features does a PRI line have over a T1 and vice versa ?
I learned a little about the use of DIDs with PRI. Does DIDs apply to
voice T1s ?

HELP !

A link to a good article will be appreaciated as well as someones
explanation.

Please excuse any incorrect terminology or spelling.

Thanks,
Steve