[Asterisk-Users] No Asterisk Sounds on SUSE ES 9/Linux 2.6

Steve Woolley swoolley at adstelecom.com
Thu Sep 30 07:25:14 MST 2004

I installed SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 that uses a Linux 2.6.5
kernel. When I installed the OS, I chose a minimal package install. I
compiled the latest asterisk out of CVS. So far things have gone OK. I
can establish phone calls (SIP, TDM, etc) and the quality is good.

Only problem is that I can get no sound out of Asterisk itself: prompts,
comedian mail prompts, etc. I can see messages on the console showing
things like:

    -- Executing NoOp("SIP/1547-5fbe", "") in new stack
    -- Executing Goto("SIP/1547-5fbe", "intern-post|9500|1") in new
stack
    -- Goto (intern-post,9500,1)
    -- Executing VoiceMailMain("SIP/1547-5fbe", "1547 at intern") in new
stack
    -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en')

And since I know the menus I can step through them without hearing the
prompts so I do not believe it is script/extentions  problem. The server
has no sound card but I have never needed one to date. In desperation, I
even installed the ALSA sound system, recompiled asterisk, and adjusted
/etc/asterisk/modules.conf to use ALSA instead of OSS, but this did not
help.

I figure that since I did a minimum install on SUSE, there is some key
program that I have not installed but is needed. However, I can find no
complaints on the asterisk console or messages leading me closer to a
solution -- even with maximum debugging turned on.

Any ideas?

--
Steve Woolley
IT Manager