[Asterisk-Users] fax

el Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Thu Sep 30 05:54:23 MST 2004

Altus Syman wrote:
> Good day all
> I a bit stuck!!
> We have a asterisk server,voicetronix card and 4 lines.We also have a hp
> office jet,printer ,scanner, FAX!!
> How Do I configure it to send,and receive a fax
> Please Help

Which Voicetronix card do you have? If it's the OpenLine4 card, then
it's all FXO, so you'll have to connect your fax machine to an ATA (such
as a Sipura), and configure sip.conf and extensions.conf properly.

If I'm not mistaken the most important part is getting the codec right
in sip.conf -- you can't send fax using the gsm codec, try u-law or
a-law. so something along the lines of:

sip.conf
========
[SIPURA]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
context=internal-fax
:
:

extensions.conf
===============
[internal-fax]
exten => _8.,Dial(vpb/1/${EXTEN:1},25)
:
:

might work. you might have to fudge around with the timeout on the
dialstring to make sure the fax tones get picked up correctly.

I could get fax to work over an IAX trunk between two * servers, fax
machine on one end connected to a TDM400P. fax went over IAX to second *
server, and the second box was configured to outdial to the receiving
fax number. worked like a charm.

Flynn