[Asterisk-Users] * and Fax

slwatts at winckworths.co.uk slwatts at winckworths.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 00:48:34 MST 2004

I manage the IT for a firm of around 200 users here in the uk -
Successfully rolled out desktop faxing using Hylafax, although its only
really used for reception and auto emailing/printing of faxes, Lawyers
hate sending unsigned faxes (and hate storing their signatures even
more)!! Unfortunately we have just completed a purchasing cycle for our
phone system (Mitel) but the ability to send and receive faxes via Voip
would have been a huge bonus, esp. considering we have three remote
offices.

Thumbs up for the software psudo-modem idea! ALso - has anyone thought
that this could be used easily to promote pretty much ANY commercial fax
server software, and promote asterisk in the process? I have not looked at
Tobit or Rightfax recently  - maybe they already have this functionality
in them?

Sam

<OFA013BDE2.96465AD2-ON80256F1E.003B0849-80256F1E.003C9AE8 at winckworths.co.uk>

> Hi,
>
> I think this is one area that needs to be developed. I am curently
> implementing a system for my home so cannot really justify the cost of
> financially supporting the development of this when all I really need to
> do is buy a telephone extension lead for my existing fax modem!!!
>
> I am more than willing to devote some testing/documentation time (I am
not
> really a programmer) if that helps.
>
> Faxing is an important facility for many businesses tho, and it would
make
> sense to be able to handle a fax call directly from asterisk to hylafax
> without having to route it via some analog device on the same machine
(eg.
> pstn -> voip ->fax svr-> email rather than pstn -> voip -> analog line
> ->fax svr ->email)
>
> Am i barking up the wrong tree or do others also need this
functionality?

> Sam

--------------
Winckworth Sherwood Solicitors and Parliamentary Agents
DX 148400 WESTMINSTER 5 : 35 Great Peter Street, London SW1P 3LR
Telephone 020 7593 5000 Fax 020 7593 5099

-Confidentiality-
This email message and any attachments are confidential; they may be subject to legal professional privilege and are intended for the named recipient only. If you are not the named recipient, please return the message and enclosures immediately and delete them from your system.

-Caution-
Before advice received only by email (whether by attachment or otherwise) may be relied on, the authenticity of the communication must be verified by means independent of email.

-Regulation-
The firm is regulated by the Law Society.

-Partners-
A list of partners is available for inspection at each office of the firm and on the firm's website at http://www.winckworths.co.uk