[Asterisk-Users] * and Fax

Jon Radon jonr800 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 12:22:08 MST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:45:29 -0700, Lee Howard <faxguy at howardsilvan.com> wrote:
> I think that there are three nearly-ideal solutions:
>
> 1) have some Asterisk module provide a pseudo-modem device that
> Asterisk can use as an extension.  HylaFAX can treat that pseudo-modem
> device as a modem.  I believe that Steve Underwood, the spandsp author,
> was working on a solution of this fashion.

This sounds like the most elegant solution IMO.

> I think that #1 or #2 are the most likely to be available any time
> soon.  Until then, additional hardware must be used to get Asterisk and
> HylaFAX working together.  In the case of analog an ATA device must
> generally be used, and for some reason this arrangement seems to
> generate a lot of interference.  In the case of digital T1/E1, which
> arrangement doesn't seem to suffer the analog-ATA interference, you've
> got to have an additional T1/E1 port to interface with the T1/E1 card
> driven by HylaFAX.  In any of the solutions above not only is this
> additional hardware not required, but there will be no modem hardware
> required specifically for HylaFAX.
>
> I agree with you that attempting to recreate functionality and
> facilities for Asterisk that are already present in HylaFAX is
> misguided when that effort could be better-spent getting one of 1-3
> going.

I agree that there's no reason at all to rewrite Hylafax
functionality.  Especially since Hylafax is fairly mature.  I've been
trying to get a Multi-Tech modem to work through my SPA-2000 with no
luck.  It works fine for lower speeds it seems but just doesn't cut it
at anything higher than 9600.  Going right into the line everything is
just fine.  I'd really like to see option #1 implemented.

--
Is it something someone said, was it something someone said?