[Asterisk-Users] Strange Quality problems with Asterisk, Gentoo, Redhat and Kernels - /dev/dsp

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Wed Sep 29 10:46:19 MST 2004

I used portage only for the dependencies, which did include libpri,
zaptel and asterisk 0.9.0; But I then used CVS to download the latest
zaptel/libpri/asterisk and then did make install for libpri and zaptel
and make upgrade for Asterisk.

I looked in /usr/lib for libpri and saw the date was the day I compiled
the CVS version. I also checked out
/lib/modules/linux-2.4.26-gentoo/misc/ and saw that zaptel and others
were the same compile date as the CVS (ie, 10 minutes ago). So they are
being updated. I even rebooted the server to ensure the loading of the
newest modules/drivers.

The mpg123 that came with portage was the 's' version, but I manually
downloaded and compiled the 'r' version, so that was fixed already. I'll
look into the moh patch, is moh far superior, as far as quality, to
mpg123? Any benefits of moht vs sticking with the tried, proven and
trusted mpg123 version 'r'?

I'm getting really frustrated with this Simulated Voice T1 quality
issue. If anybody wants to help me diagnose it, or confirm whether they
see it, I can give them an iax account on the server and they can call
into the did that an automated attendant answers, you should be able to
hear the quality problem.