[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk newbie questions

Wed Sep 29 08:06:40 MST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:10:25 +0500, Jean-Michel Hiver
<hiver.j at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> >I would say "au contraire". If you are going to set up shop in Reunion
> >and the rates to there are expensive, that may well be an opportunity
> >for you to terminate yourself and sell the capacity overseas.
>
> Hey I don't want to 'terminate myself' yet, life is too good :-)

:-) good one, sorry about that lapsus.

> you reckon there's any money doing PSTN termination on
> an island that has 800,000 people on it?

I don't know, but if I was moving there I would probably want to find
out if there is an opportunity to make money on whatever price gap
there may be. So, I reckon it would be worth your time to do a bit of
research.

> Has anybody got some numbers that would allow me to guesstimate how many
> hours per day I'll be likely to process (medium / long term) and what
> kind of bandwith I would need?

Contact me off-list at benjamin (at) sunrise-tel (dot) com and I will
give you a pointer or two.

> For local calls France Telecom charges about 3.3 eurocents / minute I
> think. VoIP ones are about 20 eurocents / minute I think - which is also
> FT's rate. So yes it's significant. I wonder if there would be enough
> volume though.

800K population may not seem a lot, but it represents an entire
economy which is closely linked to France since it is a DOM/TOM. So
there will be quite a few French companies who have local offices in
Reunion and I bet they will care about their telephone bill. There
will also be companies in other countries doing business with Reunion
and if it is only tourism related.

> No it isn't - Réunion is hooked on the 'Safe' cable which links Asia to
> Europe.

Even better.

> Ping is still pretty high =~ 250 ms to europe on broadband but
> it isn't as bad as if it was going through satellite.

250 ms is pretty good. I have 150-180 to the US from Japan. Anyway, as
long as you are below 500, you shouldn't notice it when on a call.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.