[Asterisk-Users] Strange Quality problems with Asterisk, Gentoo, Redhat and Kernels - /dev/dsp

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Wed Sep 29 07:56:11 MST 2004

I've compiled Asterisk on Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1 in the past,
generally without any problems. Especially w/ the stock kernel, which I
generally loathe. When I tried to upgrade my Redhat 9 Server to the
2.4.27 kernel, doing a manual/clean compile, I had massive quality
issues. I was forced to go back down to a stock 2.4.24 kernel. Never
figured out why.

Now, I've installed Gentoo and am using the 2.4.26 kernel, and things
initially appeared ok. I emerge'd Asterisk, the dependencies were
downloaded compiled, Asterisk 0.9.0 was compiled, I then used cvs to
update to the latest libpri/zaptel/asterisk. Everything seemed fine.
However, I'm noticing the occasional quality issue. First I just thought
the music on hold was a little choppy, but that always seems normal, I
blamed the zaprtc/rtcsetup thing I'm using to get zaptel timing.

But then we noticed problems with Grandstream phones. The grandstream
would connect to the Gentoo Asterisk Server via SIP, then go out via IAX
across a T1 to the main asterisk server (Redhat 9), which then pushes
the call via SIP to a Cisco Router that's connected to several PRI's. My
last clue therem ay be a problem with Gentoo is the T1 card we put in
another server. We put a T100P in another Gentoo server, therefore
didn't need zaprtc/rtcsetup, and it uses pri-net to simulate a Voice T1
PRI for a PBX system. Calls will come in via IAX2, from my main asterisk
server, and it will then (using Zap) go out the T100P into the PBX.
There's an intermittant quality issue there as well.

The only clues in the log files was something about /dev/dsp missing.
This didn't seem a big deal, music on hold worked, etc. but I noticed
that /dev/dsp existed on my redhat machines, even though they're the
same servers, no sound cards or anything. The kernel on the Redhat
machines was compiled with several sound card modules, but nothing
integrated. An 'lsmod' reveals a module called soundcore loaded, but I
can't find soundcore on my Gentoo machines.

Is there anything mandator in the compilation of the kernel that will
affect Asterisk's quality? The CPU load on the systems is nothing.
Everything "appears" normal. The only common factor is custom compiled
kernel. A custom compiled 2.4.27 on Redhat had problems, and a Custom
Compiled 2.4.26-gentoo on Gentoo has not-so-apparent problems too.  I've
always been on top of the latest CVS updates on Zaptel/Asterisk/libPRI