[Asterisk-Users] * and Fax

slwatts at winckworths.co.uk slwatts at winckworths.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 06:55:21 MST 2004

Why go to all the trouble?

Hylafax does all the fax client, file conversion, printing,
emailing,faxback, etc. Its a very good enterprise fax server package. Why
not try and interface asterisk and hylafax more closely?

This is why I have been looking at t38modem, but alas it does not seem to
provide the solution. Ideally a voipfax modem device is needed (looks like
a modem, behaves like a modem but works on a sip channel and not
isdn/analog line) then asterisk can treat it like any other extension, and
hylafax can treat it like a modem.

Sam

"Michel Belleau (malaiwah.com)" <michel.belleau at malaiwah.com> wrote on
29/09/2004 12:43:15:

> Hi Alex.
>
> I'm pretty sure that it can be done with a simple AGI script following
the
> rxfax action in the extensions.conf file.
> I could make it, but I'm busy on another things this week.
>
> The only caveat of this setup is really "SpanDSP"; on my tests it
received
> faxed "squished" like 200% width and 100% width. I know that I can
resize de
> resulting TIFF file afterwards, but I think there's something wrong with
my
> spandsp setup first.
>
> Mike
>
>   _____

Discussion
> Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] * and Fax
>
> Hi,
>
> I think this is one area that needs to be developed. I am curently
> implementing a system for my home so cannot really justify the cost of
> financially supporting the development of this when all I really need to
do is
> buy a telephone extension lead for my existing fax modem!!!
>
> I am more than willing to devote some testing/documentation time (I am
not
> really a programmer) if that helps.
>
> Faxing is an important facility for many businesses tho, and it would
make
> sense to be able to handle a fax call directly from asterisk to hylafax
> without having to route it via some analog device on the same machine
(eg.
> pstn -> voip ->fax svr-> email rather than pstn -> voip -> analog line
->fax
> svr ->email)
>
> Am i barking up the wrong tree or do others also need this
functionality?

> Sam
>
> Jørn Eriksen <jorn at ccl-network.com> wrote on 29/09/2004 10:35:30:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've read a bit lately on Asterisk & Fax issues - I also saw, in some
> > notes from Astricon, that the developer of panDSP - Steve Underwood -
> > was looking for support (finacial and/or technical).  If we are enough

> > folks that need/want this (fax for *) we might get him to streamline
it
> > for a reasonable abount pr head....
> >
> > Best regards
> > Jorn
> > slwatts at winckworths.co.uk wrote:
> >

> > > zapata.conf? Must have missed that - but I am not using any analog
> > > cards, I am using capi. If this feature dependent on using zapata
and
> > > compatible hardware then?
> > >
> > > on a slightly different tack - tried the sipura 3000 last night, has

> > > anyone got this working with faxes. Set all the fax detection tones
> > > yes, but it still treats a fax call just like any other voice call
:-(

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Sam.
> > >
> > > Jon Radon <jonr800 at gmail.com> wrote on 28/09/2004 16:52:32:
> > >
> > >  > After you changed the zapata.conf per the wiki... make sure you
stop
> > >  > asterisk, unload your zap drivers, reload them, then start
asterisk
> > >  > again.
> > >  >
Looking at
> > >  > the hylafax logs I see t38modem answer but then get 'no carrier'.
If I

www.ubiquitysoftware.com <

A list of partners is available for inspection at each office of the firm and on the firm's website at http://www.winckworths.co.uk