[Asterisk-Users] Re: What about a higher level configuration language

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at eunetnorge.no
Mon Sep 27 11:39:13 MST 2004

> I wasn't suggesting XML as a means to *configure* Asterisk.
>
> Instead, I was suggesting XML as a means to *store* Asterisk's
> configuration data.

Then we're in complete agreement.  Used for storage and transmission
of structured data, XML (or SGML) is great.  I'm just always wary of
initiatives like this one, because people tend to confuse presentation
and representation.

> I do realise that extensions.conf is a somewhat different animal
> than the rest of the pack, however, any kind of scripting language,
> whether the present one or any other is not the right tool to store
> the information.

Actually, for that specific use, a specialized little language with an
interpreter, and the configuration stored as unaltered script source,
might well be just fine.  Compiling to byte code when (re)loading the
configuration doesn't take much time on modern hardware.  Using TCL,
or even one of the embeddable LISP family members, might be smart.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway Hosting
www.eunet.no  T +47-22092958 M +47-93013940 F +47-22092901 FWD 484145