[Asterisk-Users] chan_sip.c 183 / 180 handling, unexpected results & playtone bug ...

Low, Adam ALow at Prioritytelecom.com
Mon Sep 27 05:23:27 MST 2004

Guys,

I am currently suffering the exact same bug as described in BUG ID 0001959, in summary, receiving a 'Asked to transmit frame type 64, while native formats is 8 (read/write = 8/8)' when call connects then hangs up. It appears to be caused by the playtones_generator routine in indications.c trying to produce a ring signal on the channel.

The reason I am hitting this problem seems to be that the SIP UA I am using is sending a 183 Session Progress prior to a 180 Alerting. It appears to me that Asterisk is treating the 183 similar to a Q.931 Call Proceeding with in-band info and opening the channel between the endpoints but then gets confused when it receives a 180 Alerting after it.

I cannot see anything in the RFC's that would suggest this sequence (183 then 180) would be invalid. I was hoping someone more informed than I could suggest if this issue should be:

A. Dealt with differently by the SIP UA.
B. Handled differently by Asterisk.

Any comments, feedback much appreciated.

Rgds,
Adam

********* DISCLAIMER *********

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure and may include proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to any other person