[Asterisk-Users] What about a higher level configuration language

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Mon Sep 27 00:02:52 MST 2004

"fear of the unknown"?  LOL, I know XML quite well.  And yes, it's a
good alternative for the majority of configuration information, but it
is not at all suited for, say, extensions.conf.  Yes, yes, you CAN put
extensions.conf in XML... Just like you can write an industrial process
control in Lisp, water your yard one coffee mug at a time, or drive a
nail with the blunt end of a screwdriver.  Extensions.conf is
essentially a collection of scripts, a set of instructions with a little
data interspersed.  Forcing that into XML is akin to putting your code
in a highly normalized database -- it's possible, but not feasible.
Choose the right tool for the job and don't get hung up on the tool of
the day.

Config files other than extensions.conf are better candidates for XML,
but in some cases trade in maintainability for redundancy (example:
sip.conf and zapata.conf have "sticky" arguments, which allow for
relatively quick and painless configuration of various channel groups).