[Asterisk-Users] What about a higher level configuration language

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Sun Sep 26 09:50:55 MST 2004

XML isn't the magic answer to all questions.  The configuration
"database" for Asterisk is relatively flat while XML supports
hierarchical data much better.  Asterisk's current config file are
better suited to the task than XML inherently could be.

If the original poster is still interested writing a preprocessor for
asterisks config, I'd like to see a syntax for extensions.conf that's
easier to maintain, such as:

[context]
exten => _1xxx
:DigitTimeOut(10)
:ResponseTimeOut(20)
BackHere:Answer
:Read(callto,pls-entr-num-uwish2-call,10)
:Read(callfrom,enter-phone-number10,10)
:SetCIDNum(${callfrom})
:Dial(IAX2/${IAXFREE}/1${callto},40):Failed
:Hangup
Failed:Play(try-again)
Goto(BackHere)

Eliminating the need to specify (and keep track of) priorities would
make changes to extensions.conf much easier to implement.