[Asterisk-Users] Call redirect with *

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Sep 25 17:45:16 MST 2004

Hi!

> The problem is that going from Point A --> Point B --> Point C
> consumes 2x the needed bandwidth at Point B and introduces latency,
> another point of failure, etc.  What we would *like* is for Point B to
> be able to parse the extension and, upon determining that the call is
> destined for Point C, have a way within the protocol to tell Point A:
> "Hey, could you please take this call and send it to (user:pass at Point
> C/context/extension)?"

Use a Dial() statement and look at "notransfer=yes" in iax.conf to avoid
a IAX transfer or "=no" to allow it. This is similar to "canreinvite=yes"
in sip.conf, only the other way around... :-)

Apart from that you'll need to check if there are other aspects that
force B to remain in the media path (like a Dial() with t or T option, or
Monitor(), or ...)

> That way, the call would go from Point A --> Point C, even though the
> extension parsing and "control" of the call came from Point B (obviously, once
> the call is re-routed from Point A --> Point C, Point B can no longer exercise
> any control over it).

Why have an Asterisk box at C where a simple IP phone connected to A (or
B) should be sufficient? Just a side remark.

> Is this possible?  Perhaps this can be accomplished with the "switch =>"
> statements in extensions.conf (I do not understand the switch very well)??

Personally I'd recommend not to use "switch" unless you know exactly what
you are doing and what downsides it has. Actually I wouldn't use it at
all. Instead design a good dialplan.

Cheers, Philipp