[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0 & Zaptel 1.0 -- False Hangup Disaster

Sat Sep 25 09:08:43 MST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:41:12 -0300, Marconi Rivello
<marconirivello at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is better than the call being disconnected in the middle of an
> important discussion, and it may create the impression that the other
> person slammed the phone on you if you were arguing or something like
> that...

More importantly, you will not get any customer to sign acceptance for
an Asterisk system if they have false hangups. This is one of the
things that customers will simply not accept, and rightly so.

It is also one of those things that will go around very quickly and
have the potential to damage Asterisk's reputation. Sure, you may say
that if one want's to be assured there are no false hangups one should
go for PRI. However, in this market over here, this is not an option,
at least not yet. Then again, customers will simply tell you that they
didn't have any false hangups on analog lines with directly connected
analog telephone sets. They will say, if those ordinary analog phones
don't hangup, then a PBX shouldn't have a problem either. It's the
customers who make the rules, not us.

> The only problem is incoming calls to IVR, VM, and such.

IVR doesn't have to be a problem, because you can program time-outs
into your IVR menus.

For voicemail, indeed, you'd want some software driven hangup
detection, but since when do we subscribe to the "all or nothing"
philosophy? Why not enable hangup detection selectively, ie only upon
sending a call to voicemail? At least as an option!

> It should be allowed to specify if busy detect is enabled only for
> zap-originated, zap-terminated, or both kinds of calls.

That would be better than all or nothing, but since we are talking
about an option here, where is the harm to *also* provide a setting
that disables detection outright, then provide selective means to
enable it in the dialplan depending on context and/or call flow.

You could then enable far-end detection for voicemail, local detection
only for person-to-person calls, and for IVR calls as you see fit,
depending on whether you have time-outs or not.

And those who are in the lucky position not to have any false hangups,
they would simply leave the setting on default and everything stays as
it is now.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.