[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Free G.729 ready for download

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sat Sep 25 01:22:52 MST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:

> >On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:
> >I am not a lawyer, nor even a US citizen. Talking to someone who is both
> >may be a good idea.
> >

> What is the relevance of being a US citizen? Copyright rules are largely
> global.

There are two different major sets of copyright laws, depending on which
treaty they were derived from. They are not always compatible. They differ
in such points as whether you can transfer your copyright or merely assign
the rights granted by it.

> >Unless otherwise granted by the copyright holder, by default the copyright
> >of a derived work (in the copyright legan sense) is held by the owner of
> >the original copyright and not the crator of the derived work. So no, the
> >patches are owned by Intel as well.
> >

> But the patches aren't a derived work. That is the value they have here.
> There are an independant adjunct work.

According to most lawyers a patch _is_ a derived work in nearly all
circumstances. E.g. a novel based on the characters from a novel by
another author is a derived work.

If you are producing copies of just about anything you really need to
speak to your lawyer to be safe. The excpetion possibly being open source
stuff based soley on open source stuff.

Anyway, this is getting too far off topic for this list. Mea culpa.

Peter