[Asterisk-Users] Re: [Asterisk-Dev] Free G.729 ready for download

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 24 18:40:50 MST 2004

Arkadi Shishlov wrote:

>I expropriated the right to rip Daniel's disclamer for use in my
>email too..
>
>DISCLAIMER:
>You might have to pay royalty fees to the G.729 patent holders for using
>their algorithm.
>
>For easier testing I prepared codec_g729.so binaries and associated
>libraries and put them on the web:
>http://kvin.lv/pub/Linux/Asterisk/

I wouldn't do that, if I were you. Distributing the source code for
educational and evaluation purposes won't get anyone into trouble with
the patent issues. I think (not sure) that Intel's copyright on the code
is OK, since Daniel is distributing only patches to the original. As
soon as you make binaries you are on shaky legal ground.

If you want to make things easier try to polish the install process to
make it more idiot resistant.

Regards,
Steve